Strength Xpress Classes at the JCC Indianapolis
FREE FOR MEMBERS
These non-aerobic classes at JCC Indianapolis uses resistance equipment and body weight for a total body workout.
Benefits of Strength Training
- Improved muscle strength and tone – to protect your joints from injury.
- Maintaining flexibility and balance, which can help you remain independent as you age.
- Weight management and increased muscle-to-fat ratio – as you gain muscle, your body burns more than when at rest.
- Greater stamina – as you grow stronger, you won’t get tired as easily.
- Improved posture.
Strength classes aim to improve daily living skills through better balance, strength, flexibility, and agility. These classes promote progressive resistance where your training load is increased as your muscles become stronger. Strength training is the only type of exercise that can maintain muscle and metabolism as we age. Resistance training benefits include:
A Strength Training Class Is Best Suited for …
- Anyone can be in the same class, from a beginner who’s never lifted weights to a bodybuilder. The weight amounts may vary, but the technique stays the same.
- Women, ages 55-75, to protect against bone loss. As you’re lifting weights, you’re growing new, stronger bones.
Strength, or resistance, training is great for all age groups: young, middle-aged, and older adults.
Fitness Is a Core Jewish Value
At the JCC, fitness isn’t just something we do; it’s who we are. Although exercise is not mentioned in the Torah, taking care of one’s health is. In fact, while other belief systems advocate for the healing power of prayer, Judaism encourages people to look after their health and seek counsel from medical experts. In Judaism, good health is not a goal in itself; rather, it is a means to an end – to serve the Creator.