Aqua Jog Classes at the JCC Indianapolis
FREE FOR MEMBERS
The Aqua Jogging workout at JCC Indianapolis is a full-body workout that uses the full length of the pool. Water weights and dumbbells, as well as other provided aquatics tools, e.g., noodles, are used in the shallow end with jogging through water in the deep end of the pool using a water jogging belt, resulting in a great cardio workout.
Appeals to Many
- Runners not yet ready to return to hard pavement after an injury.
- Runners looking to increase stamina.
- Men and women ages 45 or older looking for an aerobic activity that doesn’t put stress on joints.
Although Aqua Jog is for all adults ages 18 or older, those who attend most often include:
Benefits of Aqua Jog Exercise
- Low Impact Exercise: Reduced stress on joints by being suspended in water versus the impact of exercise on hard surfaces.
- Strength Building: Water is dense and provides 12 times more resistance than air to help build, strengthen, and tone muscles.
- Weight Management: An Aqua jogging workout provides aerobic activity and resistance training while burning calories and fat to help maintain weight or aid in weight loss.
- Improves form: Aqua jogging for runners is a great way to refine form and emulate the glide of elite runners. The activity mimics movements made on land, allowing the runner to focus on sharpening posture and form in a low-impact, safe environment.
- Strengthens body: Aqua jogging for runners is a tough resistance workout. Water is thicker than air, making you push your legs extra hard against increased pressure.
- Boosts cardio fitness: Aqua jogging is a fantastic way to maintain or boost heart health without risking injury to your muscles and joints. As it puts pressure on both the lower and upper body, it requires the heart to work even harder than it would on land-based runs.
- Promotes recovery: Aqua jogging is an injured runner’s best friend, helping to accelerate recovery time by maintaining exercise without causing further damage to joints and muscles.
What to Expect
The JCC provides all equipment needed for the class. You just need to arrive with your towel and wearing a swimsuit or designated swimwear. As none of the exercises involve swimming underwater, goggles and/or a swim cap are optional for this class.
The JCC offers Aqua Jog exercise classes several times a week year-round. Each class is an hour long. Check our Schedules page for group exercise dates and times, or download our mobile app for iOS or Android devices.
Aqua Jog exercise classes are free for JCC members as a benefit of membership.
Aquatics Are Central at the J
Learning to swim and aquatics are deeply rooted in Jewish values and culture. The J serves Jewish and non-Jewish audiences alike, as learning to swim is a universal value. Our aquatics program is integral to our community center, and we have built and maintained indoor, outdoor, competition-sized, and therapeutic pools. Our love of aquatics starts early with parent/child classes, continues with lessons for adults, and we also offer arthritis and therapy classes for those well into their 90s.