Yoga Classes at the JCC Indianapolis
Yoga is a central focus of JCC Indianapolis health and wellness offerings. Unlike smaller yoga studios, the JCC is able to provide a full spectrum of yoga all at one location. You can practice yoga in the way you prefer, whether the coziness of a small yoga studio or the anonymity of a large community yoga class. The J has it all. And the added bonus is that our yoga instructors are experienced at tailoring classes to your needs and level of practice.
Benefits of Yoga at the JCC
- Variety: The JCC offers yoga classes to create calm and relaxation to those designed to increase strength and energy. We also offer Pilates, both mat and on the Reformer, and Reiki. For more about the Pilates Reformer, visit our Pilates Reformer page.
- Great for Beginners: Size and fitness levels do not matter because there are modifications for every yoga pose. The idea is to explore your limits, not strive for some pretzel-like perfection. It is a great way to get in tune with your body and your inner self. We offer classes fit for beginners as well as yoga for seniors.
- Physical and Mental Benefits: Yoga increases flexibility and improves respiration and blood circulation. It also has been known to help lower blood pressure and reduce insomnia.
Doing any type of yoga offers many benefits such as increased flexibility, calming of the mind, and improved cardiovascular health. Among the benefits of practicing yoga at the J:
Yoga Offerings at the JCC
Slow Flow Vinyasa Yoga is a form of vinyasa yoga that links the breath, movement, and poses together. The continuous flow, with an emphasis on proper alignment, increases endurance and will help you find the edge of your balance and flexibility. Visit our Slow Flow Vinyasa Yoga page for more details.
Restorative yoga is a style of yoga that encourages physical, mental, and emotional relaxation. As the name suggests, this style of yoga “restores” the body to its parasympathetic nervous system function, which in turn, helps the body rest, heal, and restore balance. Visit our Restorative Yoga page for more details.
This class spends equal time engaged in yoga exercises that provide deep stretching and strength-building. Visit our Half & Half Yoga page for more details.
Increase your energy and fight fatigue with the yoga poses in this class which are designed for total relaxation. Poses that gently stretch the spine can help combat fatigue and boost feelings of vitality and help to counter some of the effects of long periods of sitting. Visit our Yoga for Energy page for more details.
Power yoga is a fast-paced style of yoga that’s focused on building strength and endurance. It is also an excellent form of yoga for burning calories. This vigorous class helps strengthen your core/back, upper body, and limbs through power flows and various posture holds. Visit our Power Yoga page for details.
This class currently is not offered, but may return if there is enough demand.
The J Also Offers
The JCC offers private yoga for those who want a custom experience tailored to their individual needs.
|1 Hour Private||1 Hour Duet||1 Hour Trio||1 Hour Quartet|
|1/2 Hour Private||1/2 Hour Duet||1/2 Hour Trio||1/2 Hour Quartet|
Please note that the JCC uses Daxko for all wellness services. Make all your purchases in one system, using the card the JCC already has on file for you. Just sign in to your Daxko account, search for your program and register.
Daxko Login Tips:
- Use the email address or phone number associated with your JCC membership account
- Follow the prompts to log in or reset your password
- If you get locked out or if your email is tied to multiple accounts, call the Welcome Desk at 317-251-9467 or email info@JCCindy.org.
Reformer Pilates is done with the help of a piece of specialized equipment that adds tension and resistance to increase and focus the impact of a traditional mat Pilates workout. The equipment looks like a bed with springs. It has five springs of different strengths, a sliding carriage, ropes, and pulleys. For more, visit our page of Pilates Reformer.
Reiki is a soft, but powerful form of energy healing. The receiver is fully clothed, lying comfortably on a massage table; however, there is no traditional massage or manipulation of tissue. Visit our Reiki page for more details.
Fitness Is a Core Jewish Value
At the JCC, fitness isn’t just something we do; it’s who we are. Although exercise is not mentioned in the Torah, taking care of one’s health is. In fact, while other belief systems advocate for the healing power of prayer, Judaism encourages people to look after their health and seek counsel from medical experts. In Judaism, good health is not a goal in itself. Rather, it is a means to an end – to serve the Creator.