Aquatics Are Central at the J
Aquatics and learning to swim are deeply rooted in Jewish values and culture. Our aquatics program is integral to our community center, and we have built and maintained an aquatics center consisting of indoor and outdoor community pools, competition-sized, and therapeutic pools. Our love of aquatics and passion for aquatic exercise starts early with swim lessons offered to all ages beginning at 6 months with parent/baby classes, continuing with lessons for children and classes for adults, and we offer arthritis and therapy classes for those well into their 90s.
Our Swimming Pools
- Regenstrief Indoor Lap Pool: This indoor competition-sized pool offers adult lap swimming, swim lessons, aquatic aerobics, aquatic group exercise classes, and various aquatic programming. Upgrades include a new air handling system (2019) and new deck and floor liner (2015).
- Backer Therapy Pool: Our “Magic pool,” named for Shirley and Herbert Backer, is the only pool in Indianapolis with an adjustable floor, making it possible to adjust the depth for toddlers, adults, and anyone learning to swim. At 89°F, the water temperature is much warmer than a regular pool to help provide an easy introduction to water and to soothe and relax joints and muscles. This pool is used for many of our adult group aquatic exercise classes and by organizations working with children with special needs and those suffering from brain and spinal injury.
- Eskenazi Water Park: Boasts 389,000 gallons of water and more than 71,000-square- feet of distinct swimming and picnicking areas. Visit our Water Park page for more details on these outdoor pools. Named for Sid and Lois Eskenazi.
The JCC offers programs from swim lessons to exercise classes, from youth ages 6 months to adults well into their 90s. For an overview of our offerings for children and youth, visit our Kids & Teens Aquatics page. Visit our Adult Aquatics page for all our swimming programs for adults.
Benefits of Swimming
- Improved flexibility, range of motion and general mobility.
- Improved metabolism and caloric consumption.
- Better blood circulation.
- Revitalized energy.
- Decreased stress, insomnia, depression, anger, fatigue, and anxiety.
Our pools are open to the public and appeal to anyone with an interest in aquatics, water classes, swimming lessons, and specialized aquatics programs like scuba. Benefits of swimming include: