Arthritis Foundation Aquatics Programs at the JCC Indianapolis
DISCOUNTED FOR MEMBERS
The JCC Indianapolis offers Arthritis Foundation Aquatics classes in our warm water Backer Therapy Pool, which is heated to 89°F. These popular classes in a group setting offer welcome relief to those who suffer from joint pain and stiffness. All participants are required to purchase an Aquatics Punch Card from the Welcome Desk.
We Offer Two Arthritis Foundation Aquatics Classes
- Aquajoints: A range-of-motion workout with gentle water exercise in shallow water.
- Fit Joints Plus: Water aerobics.
Appeals to Many
- Arthritis sufferers of all ages looking for relief.
- Those recovering from an injury looking to build strength.
- Men and women ages 45 and older looking for exercise that doesn’t put stress on joints.
- Seniors looking to increase their flexibility and range of motion.
Although aqua arthritis classes are for adults of all ages, those looking to build flexibility or increase relaxation appear to be the ones who attend most often:
Benefits of Arthritis Foundation Aquatics Classes
- Relief from joint pain and stiffness. The 89°F warm water of the Backer Therapy Pool and resistance from movement helps soothe muscles and joints.
- Improved flexibility.
- Enhanced mobility.
- Low Impact Exercise – reduced stress on joints by being suspended in water versus the impact of exercise on hard surfaces.
- Increased blood circulation to feel rejuvenated.
What to Expect from Arthritis Foundation Aquatics Classes
There is no special equipment needed for this class. You just need to arrive with your towel and wearing a swimsuit or designated swimwear. As none of the exercises involve swimming underwater, goggles and/or a swim cap are optional for this class.
Aquajoints and Fit Joints Plus classes are fee-based Group Exercise classes that are open to non-members and offered at a discount for JCC members. One class is $10 ($5 for members). Save when you buy a 10-class punch card – $80 (or $40 for members). Purchase at the Welcome Desk.
Aquatics Are Central at the JCC
Learning to swim and aquatics are deeply rooted in Jewish values and culture. The JCC serves Jewish and non-Jewish audiences alike, as learning to swim is a universal value. Our aquatics program is integral to our community center, and we have built and maintained indoor, outdoor, competition-sized, and therapeutic pools. Our love of aquatics starts early with parent/child classes, continues with lessons for adults, and we offer arthritis and therapy classes for those well into their 90s.