BOQUA Classes at the JCC Indianapolis
FREE FOR MEMBERS
BOQUA is aquatic boxing and simulates land-based boxing moves in a water-based environment. Taking place in the shallow end of the Regenstrief Indoor Lap Pool (or Cohen Outdoor Competition Pool in summer) at the JCC Indianapolis, it is a full-body, aerobic workout using provided boqs (a type of handled block that provides resistance in the water).
For BOQUA Bootcamp, take BOQUA and kick it up a notch in a high-energy, high-intensity, moderate impact HIIT-style class.
Appeals to Many
- Men and women ages 55 and older looking for a highly aerobic activity that doesn’t put stress on joints.
- Those looking to add variety to their exercise routine.
- Boxing and kickboxing enthusiasts who want to add extra challenge to their exercise regimen.
Although BOQUA is for all adults ages 18 and older, those who attend most often include:
Benefits of BOQUA Aquatic Fitness Classes
- Strength Building: Water is dense and provides 12 times more resistance than air to help build, strengthen, and tone muscles.
- Weight Management: A BOQUA aquatic boxing class provides aerobic activity and resistance training while burning calories and fat to help maintain weight or aid in weight loss.
- Boosts Cardio Fitness: BOQUA is a fantastic way to maintain or boost heart health without risking injury to your muscles and joints.
What to Expect
The JCC provides all equipment needed for this aquatic boxing class. You just need to arrive with your towel and wearing a swimsuit or designated swimwear. As none of the exercises involve swimming underwater, goggles and/or a swim cap are optional for this class.
The JCC offers BOQUA classes several times a week year-round. Each class is an hour long.Check our Schedules page for group exercise dates and times, or download our mobile app for iOS or Android devices.
BOQUA classes are free for JCC members as a benefit of membership.
Aquatics Are Central at the J
Learning to swim and aquatics are deeply rooted in Jewish values and culture. The JCC serves Jewish and non-Jewish audiences alike, as learning to swim is a universal value. Our aquatics program is integral to our community center, and we have built and maintained indoor, outdoor, competition-sized, and therapeutic pools. Our love of aquatics starts early with parent/child classes, continues with lessons for adults, and we offer arthritis and therapy classes for those well into their 90s.