Earth Day at the JCC Indianapolis
Join JCC Indianapolis on the front lawn and parking lot of the Max and Mae Simon Jewish Community Campus for Earth Day at the J on Sunday, April 23, 2023 from noon-4 pm, this year also including an Israel at 75 celebration in partnership with the Jewish Federation of Greater Indianapolis. Rain or shine; pets on leashes are welcome! Please note that our celebration is not on the nationally designated day of April 22.
This free Earth Day festival is made possible with support from AES Indiana, Citizens Energy Group, and many others who share the common goal of protecting the earth and its resources. Participating organizations share the Earth Day belief that sustainability is the path to prosperity.
2023 Event Highlights
- All your favorite earth-friendly organizations will be here with interactive demonstrations and hands-on Earth Day activities centered around sustainability and going green, including an AES electric car show and tree sapling giveaway.
- Educational and fun activities about Israel, in celebration of Israel’s 75th birthday
- Arts with a Purpose will have hands-on visual activities for children of all ages.
- Family yoga featuring animal- and nature-themed poses! 1-2 pm.
- Petting zoo from Heavenly Acres Farm and Learning Center
- Farmers Market by Indiana Owned, featuring Kim’s Key Lime Cookies, Kora’s Kitchen, Pure Memory Water, Singing Land Fibers, Harper Toy, Mabel Grace Crafts, Stomping Ground, Vino Mobile Bar, Indiana Owned/Indiana Gifts and Dragonwood LLC.
- Beer and wine provided by Centerpoint Brewery and Indy Brew Bus. Ash & Elm Cider will be on hand, too. Among the food trucks that will be on-site are NY Slice, Arepas, Mr. and Mrs. Hot Dog Stand, Pastabilitiez, Ritters Frozen Custard, Nicey Treat, Garnacha Spot, Paco’s Taqueria and Pierogi Love Indy, along with the J Cafe supplying kosher food.
- The WTTS street team will provide musical entertainment.
- Giveaways from the Colts, including a football signed by tight end Kylen Granson, a picture signed by former offensive lineman Anthony Castonzo, and a bag full of swag!
All Together Now!
More than 5,000 people of all backgrounds and faiths are expected to stop by and celebrate sustainability and going green. Now is the time for the unstoppable courage to preserve and protect our health, our families, and our livelihoods by investing in our planet. The event is FREE.
Sustainability Is a Core Value
A core Jewish value is tikkun olam, Hebrew for repairing the earth or making the world a better place. It is a natural fit for the JCC to celebrate this day as its signature event for the Indianapolis community.
Parking is available onsite at the JCC. The event is in front (west). And there will be ample parking available in back (east).
2023 Organizations On-Site
- 80 Acre Farm (free samples, coupons, etc.)
- AES (electric car show and tree sapling giveaway)
- Alana Hess, JCC yoga instructor and author/illustrator of Love Like a Bee
- Alpha Chi Sigma
- Arts with a Purpose (family programming in Celebration Plaza)
- Boy Scouts of America
- Chiro One Wellness Center
- CIRTA/Commuter Connect
- Circle City Athletics (CCA Sports)
- Citizens Climate Lobby
- City of Indianapolis: Office of Sustainability
- Congregation Beth Shalom
- Congregation Beth-El Zedeck (notes in the Western Wall)*
- Congregation Shaarey Tefilla (T-shirt tote bags)
- Elders Climate Action
- eScrapinc (small electronics recycling: batteries, cables, cell phones, laptops, other things that can be carried in a bag)
- Eskenazi Health Center (at-home COVID tests, HIV testing and PrEP, blood pressure checks, financial counseling, mental health checks)
- Etz Chaim Sephardic Congregation (Bedouin tent)*
- Girl Scouts of Central Indiana
- Global Gifts (fair trade items from around the world)
- Grassroot Projects
- Hasten Hebrew Academy (science project)*
- Heavenly Acres Farm (petting zoo)*
- Hoosier Environmental Council (environmental trivia)
- Hooverwood Living (intergenerational craft)
- Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation – Young Family Adventure, Brit Olam and Adamah circles
- Indiana Department of Environmental Management (eCycle program)
- Indiana Department of Natural Resources (reptiles)
- Indiana Diaper Bank
- Indiana Jewish Discovery Center
- Indiana Jewish Historical Society
- Indiana Office of Public Health and Safety
- Indiana Owned (mini farmers market)
- Indiana Parks Alliance
- Indianapolis Fire Department (fire truck and firefighters)
- Indianapolis Jewish Community Relations Council
- Indianapolis Public Library Bookmobile
- J Cares (collecting diapers, wipes and diaper cream for Indiana Diaper Bank)
- JCC Pickleball
- Jewish Agency for Israel
- Jewish Federation of Greater Indianapolis (photo booth – see yourself in Israel!)*
- Jewish National Fund
- Jump Bunch (environmental obstacle course)
- Nine13sports (stationary bikes video game)
- Partnership2Gether (art project and IDF reserve soldiers, including balloon artist)*
- PJ Library (lifesize Israeli board games, temporary tattoos, face painting)
- Sea Scope (make waves)
- The Music Playhouse (bamboo instruments)
- Unique Home Solutions
- Watercolor Society of Indiana
*part of the Ella’s Trip to Israel passport/story walk for Israel at 75
Earth Day at the J Sponsors
Renny and Greg Silver
Norle Investments, Inc.
Ally Weiss and Seth Mihlfeld
Emily and Andrew Hawickhors
Chelsea and Alex Cantu
Diane and John Abrams
Ellen and Brian Modiano
Gigi and Art Felsher
Helen and Asaf Goldstein
Jamie and Jason Rich
Jennifer and Jeff Cohen
Jody and Sheldon Hirst
Judy and Kent Newton
Karen and Mike Rothbaum
Kathleen and Ben Grande
Katy and Dan Cantor
Leslie and Mike Rubin
Linda and Jon Abels
Linda and Bruce Frank
Marina and Leo Grabovsky
Marjorie and Tim Maginn
Mary and Mark Grove
Michelle and Offer Korin
Nancy and Brad Bell
Nancy and Gary Koppel
Rita and Keith Pitzele
Robin and Rick Weiss
Sarah and Eric Ratner
Shelley and Marshall Kahn
Susan Jacobs and David Kleiman
Sponsors as of Apr 11, 2023